It Takes a Family to Comfort a Family
William G. Turbyfill, Sr. established Peninsula Funeral Home in 1927. The business originally consisted of the funeral home and a wooden casket company that were located in separate facilities in downtown Newport News. In 1938, Mr. Turbyfill’s son, William, Jr., joined the business. Together they built a reputation for caring service and attention to detail. Mr. Turbyfill, Sr. died in 1962. After taking over the business, William, Jr. planned and oversaw the construction of a new facility in mid-town Newport News, that was completed in 1968. His foresight enabled him to expand his business from serving 250 families per year to more than 500. In 1975, his wife, Margaret, joined him as a Funeral Service Provider in the business. They continued their community service until William, Jr.’s death in 1981. Mrs. Turbyfill managed the business until her death in 1998. The Turbyfill’s three children, Elizabeth, Margaret and Robert, continue the family ownership and tradition of caring service. Robert provides onsite business management and direction, while Elizabeth and Margaret offer extensive support and guidance.